Lisa Zonder guides you through your legal options and supports you through your divorce in Ventura or Los Angeles counties. Her law office is in Westlake Village in Ventura County right on the border of Los Angeles County. Attorney. Lisa Zonder is committed to excellence and is experienced with complex cases.
Certified Family Law Specialist
I am a certified family law specialist (“CFLS”), certified by the State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization. I have been a CFLS since 1999. As a divorce lawyer with over 20 years of legal experience (including experience with celebrity divorces), I have served as a courtroom advocate for many divorcing clients. As a result of my experiences, I have a comprehensive grasp of the numerous divorce options that are available to my clients.
As mediator and collaborative divorce attorney, I work with families to make divorce transitions smoother, more civil and less costly, particularly through alternatives to the traditional court divorce process.
I chose family law because I have an interest in helping people resolve conflicts. As a trial lawyer, I understand that in some cases, there is no choice but to fight for one’s interests in the courtroom, ultimately leaving one’s fate in the hands of a judge who gets to “call the balls and strikes”.
Litigation and the Family Court System
While litigation may be necessary for some individuals, there may be reasons to avoid it if possible. The court system is overburdened with cases due to financial instability, staff layoffs, court closures, insufficient time to hear all the important information on the witness stand, and so on. In addition to having its time and resource issues, litigation can also be extremely expensive.
As a family law peacemaker, I have volunteered my time as a divorce mediator (also called a settlement officer) at the Van Nuys Family Court, as well as in the Los Angeles and Ventura Superior Courts.
I do this because I am committed to helping families find cooperation-based solutions for financial and custody disagreements. As an attorney educator, I volunteer my time as a lecturer for divorce education workshops across Southern California. I take on this role because I want men and women to be fully informed about all available options for getting through divorce.
Strategic partnering with financial experts, divorce coaches, and business appraisers is especially important for high-net-worth clients, or other clients who are dealing with complex issues. Working as part of an integrated divorce team of professionals can be invaluable for select cases.
Meditation and Collaborative Divorce Training
Ongoing legal education and mediation training is critical. I have attended the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers seminars on a nearly annual basis for the past 12 years in order to enhance my trial skills and receive training by top-gun trial lawyers. I have also taken over 120 hours of mediation and collaborative divorce training, and I have received advanced training as a collaborative divorce practitioner. I continue to take advanced mediation training at Pepperdine University Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution in Malibu and through AIM in Los Angeles.
I am dedicated to raising awareness of ways to solve divorce woes out of court. I am a member of the Coalition for Collaborative Divorce and LACFLA. I am also actively working on behalf of CP Cal, which is the California Collaborative Divorce group, on fundraising and educational workshops.
Second Saturday Divorce Workshops
As a lecturer for Second Saturday Divorce Workshops, I provide an overview of the legal process and inform people of the various options for getting through divorce, including mediation, collaborative divorce, lawyer-to-lawyer negotiation and courtroom litigation.
Commitment to Settlement First
Why do I spend my time helping the courts settle cases and raising awareness of out-of-court divorce processes? Having been through a divorce, I know that that when you feel that your child(ren) are at stake and your financial future is up in the air, you want to maintain as much control over the outcome of your case as possible.
Some clients feel that they can take a greater level of control over their divorce case if decisions are ultimately made by both spouses rather than by a judge. If you place your trust in our hands, as many before you have, while we cannot guarantee outcomes, we will use our high level skill, education, experience and compassion to help achieve a divorce settlement that is right for you.
- Board of Directors, Collaborative Practice California (CP Cal)
- Chair of the Collaborative Practice California Tenth Annual “Celebration” event
- Settlement Officer, L.A. and Ventura Family Courts
- Current Settlement Conference Officer, Van Nuys Superior Court (Los Angeles), 2012
- San Fernando Valley Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Current Member, Board of Directors, Coalition for Collaborative Divorce (“CCD”) (L.A. and Ventura)
- San Fernando Valley Collaborative Professionals
- Current Member, LACFLA (Los Angeles Collaborative)
- Current Member, Ventura County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- North County Bar Association and Certified Family Law Specialists of North County
- Former Chair: Family Law Section, North County Bar Association, 2004-2006
- Former Co-Chair for Education, North County Certified Family Law Specialists, 2005-2007
- Former Chair, North County Certified Family Law Specialists, 2007
- Member, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Founding Member, The Academy of Professional Family Mediators
- Member, Southern California Mediation Association
- Current Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Current Settlement Conference Officer, Stanley Mosk, Los Angeles Superior Court
- Settlement Conference Attorney, San Diego Superior Court, 2003 to 2011
- Settlement Conference Attorney, Vista Superior Court, 2003 to 2011